Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer
WHO ARE WE? Redemptorists, or the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, is a worldwide community of priests and brothers, founded in 1732 by St. Alphonsus Liguori in Italy. The headquarters are in Rome. The Redemptorists have been present in Canada since 1834. The first foundation was in Quebec City, established in 1874 at St. Patrick's Church. Their mission is the explicit proclamation of the Gospel by way of holding missions in local parishes, giving retreats, and administering parishes.
Redemptorist congregations are divided into independent jurisdictions called provinces. In Canada the Redemptorists are divided into three groupings or provinces: the French who care for the Shrine of Ste. Anne de Beaupre; the Ukrainian of the Byzantine Rite located in Yorkton, Sask; and the English, Edmonton- Toronto, who administer parishes in Newfoundland, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. There are approximately 5000 Redemptorist priests and brothers in 79 countries worldwide.
In Saskatoon we have been serving in St Mary’s Parish from 1934 until now. Part of this history has included preaching missions in urban and rural parishes, ministering in hospitals, prisons, and to indigenous people in the city.